Make your users feel like your events calendar is a seamless part of your website
Organize and display events in a variety of formats proven to drive attendees
Extend your footprint with built-in social features designed to further your digital reach
Take advantage of our full suite of admin tools and functionalities to improve back-end efficiencies
Use our full featured API to extract and display your events calendar content however you want
Duck Events: Now Powered By Localist
The University of Oregon was so excited about launching their new online events calendar with Localist, we decided to spotlight their launch on our blog. We love their enthusiasm, and look forward to following their progress as they use Localist.
Prior to transitioning to Localist, administrators were using R25 to publish events. R25 is powerful software, but best used as a room scheduler. The challenges Oregon faced trying to use R25 as an online events calendar included:
- Administrators couldn’t select which events went on the calendar and which stayed internal. As Amy Quiring, Director of Centralized Scheduling, explained, this meant that if for a given event, administrators reserved a ballroom and four conference rooms for staging, all of the rooms would show up on the calendar. Understandably, this confused attendees about where the event was actually happening.
- Only a few people had the know-how and access to update the calendar. The Division of Student Affairs, which led the charge for a new calendar, wanted student users to not only see events, but also be able to update and enter them.
- If details about an event changed, the only way to fix them was to contact someone familiar with the software. Staff members couldn’t just log in and update the calendar themselves.
- The scheduling software wasn’t keeping up with the newest advances in social media trends.
Here’s what the calendar looked like before the switch to Localist:
- Localist’s simple-to-use interface has made entering events intuitive. “There’s not a lot of think-work that goes into using Localist,” said Quiring, “you know what to click.”
- Localist provides greater accessibility to uploading and editing events, so everyone on campus can enter events. This will lead to more events being published and promoted.
- Administrative approval features ensure that inappropriate events are not published.
- Because the calendar is now fully integrated with Facebook and other social media, students can connect to events even more.
- The calendar has a familiar user experience for students, which will undoubtedly increase usage. As Quiring states, “it has a millennial feel.”
- Entering events is much faster. For example, users can enter event dates in any format, and Localist will automatically display them in a consistent format.
- Localist’s integrations with R25 and OrgSync are icing on the cake!
Here’s what Oregon’s calendar looks like now, with Localist:
Oregon just launched their calendar Friday, October 26th, so there are other goals on the horizon. Right now, they’re focusing on getting the word about the calendar out to students, and helping student groups use it as a publication tool for their events. In the future, Oregon aims to further centralize university calendars through using Localist’s widgets and integrations.
As the Ducks get fully immersed with Localist, we will follow their progress and report back. GO DUCKS!
Interested in learning more about how an online social calendar can connect your students? Read our eBook, Why Your Online Calendar Should Be Social.